Born in 1962, Marijampole, Lithuania, Gintaras Kuslys is a well-educated person – in the period from 2001 to 2013 he gained bachelor‘s, master‘s and PhD degrees in Art History and Criticism as well as a pedagogical qualification at Vytautas Magnus University in Kaunas. Kuslys is an active art critic constantly doing research in the field of Lithuanian art. Along with this activity, he also creates paintings, drawings and mixed technique graphics.
The art of Kuslys could be considered as abstract expressionism. His canvases are filled with fields of vivid and contrasting colors, abstract shapes and loose compositions. The painting manner reminds of the automatism principle, when paintings are created by spontaneous, unconscious, uncontrolled movements. Kuslys‘ artworks are an expression of the inner self, born out of purified emotions and universal themes. Another significant feature is his playful and childish style as well as the sense of incompleteness.
According to the artist, the creative work is like a dream, shelter or parallel reality, giving the chance to set free from dull and repetitive routine. The exact meanings of his artworks are unrevealed, left to be improvised by each spectator.
- Since 2006, Kuslys has been a member of Lithuanian Artists’ Association;
- In 2016, artist was granted a scholarship from the Lithuanian Council For Culture;
- From 2014 to 2017, he collaborated with the gallery “Meno Forma”, and organized several projects, exhibitions and educations.
- Personal exhibition, K. Ciurlionis National Museum of Art, Kaunas, Lithuania, 1992;
- Group exhibition, Gallery Vartai, Vilnius, Lithuania, 1994;
- Personal exhibition, Kaunas Artists’ House, Kaunas, Lithuania, 1995;
- Group exhibition and performance, Kaunas Artists’ House, Kaunas, Lithuania, 2000;
- Personal exhibition, and P. Galaune House, Kaunas, Lithuania, 2004;
- Group exhibition – “Structure, Constructiveness and Accurateness“, Saint John‘s Street Gallery, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2007;
- Group exhibition – “Interpretations“, Saint John‘s Street Gallery, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2008;
- Personal painting and graphics exhibition –“Surfaces“, Kaunas Artists’ House, Kaunas, Lithuania, 2014;
- Group exhibition – “Area of Experiments“, Gallery Meno Forma, Kaunas, Lithuania, 2017;
- Personal painting and graphics exhibition –“A Collision of Black and other colors“, Saint John‘s Street Gallery, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2018;
- Group exhibition – “Transformations of space: between eclecticism and unity“, Saint John‘s Street Gallery, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2019.