Born in 1972, Kaunas, Lithuania, Ausra Kleizaite was studying at Vilnius Academy of Arts from 1994 to 2000. Kleizaite is a contemporary visual artist who is most renowned for her expressive works on paper and conceptual textile. Her drawings usually grow into three-dimensional objects while sculptures are warmly touched by feminine energy and represent the cycle of life.
Since 2002, Kleizaite has been living and working between the baroque capital of Lithuania – Vilnius - and the wild jungles of India. Constant traveling between these two different continents fills the art of Kleizaite with new perspectives on human experience, culture and relationships in daily life. One of the favorite subjects of research to Kleizaite is the interrelationionship of Western and Eastern aesthetics and culture.
The artist’s favorite theme has always been a face, which expresses inner qualities rather than external likeness. The portrait is beyond other genres, such as sceneries or still lives. The most frequently used color is bright blue, which, according to the artist, has strong energy and magic. Artistic expression is notable for bright colors, as well as an expressive, dynamic and intuitive painting manner. Moreover, she uses basic materials – paper, charcoal and soft pastel in order to tell complex stories.
Kleizaite’s body of work reflects her profound interest in various aspects of human being, both spiritual and social. Themes mostly come from the close environment. People depicted are real personalities, met on trains, planes, temples or jungle villages. The artworks by Kleizaite remind of intangible energy converted into a material and visible form.
Kleizaite is highly talented at reflecting a full range of ideas and emotions. As she highlights, art must evoke people’s reactions while an observer is supposed to be the last component of the perception of the artwork.
• Performance Art Festival, Paide, Estonia, 2000;
• Group exhibition of the Lithuanian Contemporary Art, Technopolis Center, Athens, Greece, 2003;
• Personal exhibition of Textile Objects – “Relax”, Sanskriti Pratishthan, New Delhi, India, 2004;
• Group exhibition – “New Lithuanian Textile”, Berlin, Germany, 2005;
• Personal exhibition – “Arrow of Flowers”, gallery “Soviart”, Kiev, Ukraine, 2006;
• Personal exhibition – “Drawings”, gallery “Baroti”, Klaipeda, Lithuania, 2012;
• Group exhibition – “Drawing Box”, Artist’s Center, Mumbai, India, 2013;
• Group exhibition – “Human”, Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to the Republic of India, New Delhi, India, 2015;
• International Art exhibition – “Artists under The Great Sky”, Rinchen BZango Art Gallery, Jammu, India, 2016;
• Group exhibition of International Workshop – “Palette of Friendship”, Batumi, Georgia, 2017;
• Group exhibition of International Art Symposium – “Our Body and Hands in Water”, Jaipur, India, 2017;
• Personal Exhibition of Drawings, Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to the Republic of India, New Delhi, India, 2018.
• In 2004, Kleizaite was awarded with the Unesco – Aschberg Programme Fellowship;
• In the same year, she was awarded with “The Best Artwork of The Year 2003”. The show took place in Kaunas Picture Gallery, in Lithuania;
• A great number of Kleizaite’s artworks are in private collections worldwide;
• Since 2014, Kleizaite has been organizing international workshops for artists in India;
• Inspired by the Eastern culture, she created her own clothing collection, made of original, hand-woven materials.